Saturday, September 3, 2016

Celebrate the Small Things: A Kayak Lesson and a Good Laugh

Funny thing happened at the dock the other day. It was one of those U-tube moments too, but of course we didn't think to ask someone to record our latest adventure. I have always wanted a kayak and I wasn't about to let age deter me this birthday (I'm usually too practical when it comes to big splurges), but I defied commonsense and bought a two-person kayak online. Vince, being the sweet husband he is, and with nothing better in mind for my birthday, went along.



"Hmm....okay, I got this. Just put the connectors on and pump away."


"Success! Notice the seat behind me."
Okay, onward to the marina we went. At the dock we pushed off full of confidence, life jackets on, and our paddles in perfect sync, "Left, right, Left, right."  

Then...."SPLASH," over we went. We came up laughing. 

Turns out my new kayak isn't very stable for two people. Guess that video online was a bit deceptive, but with one person, balancing was no problem at all. We both took turns paddling along the shore and got thoroughly hooked. Vince's kayak is now on order. I can't wait to get out and explore the shoreline together. We have pelican here and I've been dying to get an up close look. 

Below is a photo of the darling puppy my friend picked up during her visit last month. For you, Birgit!!

"Paddie"

Celebrate the Small Things: To join, visit Lexa's Blog for the rules. We post every Friday about something we are grateful for that week. It can be about writing, family, school, general life or whatever. Originated by VikLit, co-hosts are: L.G. Keltner @ Writing Off The Edge and Katie @ TheCyborgMom

(Scroll down for more 'Celebrate' bloggers)


17 comments:

  1. What fun to have Kayak lessons.
    Most enjoyable to read Sharon...have a great week-end.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! Glad you finally got the kayak you've always wanted, even if it resulted in a few mishaps initially, LOL. And aw, that puppy is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It really has been a good thing. I'm adjusting to the fact we are selling our sailboat. Once I learn how to kayak better, there is a tiny sail I can also use.

      Delete
  3. The kayak looks like fun. I ought to get one myself some day. And the puppy picture is just too cute--- almost as cute as a kitten picture. ;)

    Nissa from
    http://myantimatterlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nissa. Thanks for visiting! This kayak (Sea Eagle) is perfect for following a shoreline. Although some have taken it on white water, I plan to stick to calmer waters.

      Delete
    2. Also tried to access your site. Locks up for some reason.

      Delete
  4. Ohhhhh Paddie is so cute! What a sweetie and thank you for posting a picture...hope to see more as the year continues on by. My hubby has a kayak...a fibreglass one called a tsunami and it is Mango coloured. He has everything with it and it is a 17 footer. He loves it although he still has not successfully rolled it yet but he knows how to get out of it if it overturns. Glad you enjoy your new kayak and hope you have great adventures with it in the future

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean you haven't tried it yet yourself? Or gone out with him? That rolling part would scare me though. I can jump out of mine. Not sure when I'll see Paddie next but she sure is cute!

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday! What a cool present. It's looks great for enjoyment, and sightseeing, and exercise too. Funny that 2 can't balance. Maybe you have to do opposite strokes or something. Love the pics! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Balancing I'm sure is possible, but we are both so "green" at this.

      Delete
  6. Was September 3 your birthday? Mine too! Anyway, the kayak looks great! It's something I'd love to try too, only I'd have to leave my specs with someone on shore, and my view would be blurry... Still, it would be fun. Summer's coming up this part of the world...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it was Aug 24, but Happy Birthday to you! Late summer is a great time to be born :) Our moms didn't have to worry much about keeping us warm. Maybe you could attach the specs? But I know what you mean. I have to leave the camera and binoculars at home.

      Delete
  7. I have been in a 2 seater a number of times and I have fallen out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a 'get wet' experience, but more stable handled solo. I haven't tipped yet!

      Delete
  8. We got kayaks last fall, but the hard plastic one-seater kind. They are so much fun. That puppy is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard shells are probably more durable, and we have thought to buy a third. So nice when family when comes to visit!

      Delete

"Stay" is a charming word in a friend's vocabulary
(A.B. Alcott). Stay and visit awhile. Your comments mean a lot to me.

About Me

My photo
You could call me an eternal optimist, but I'm really just a dreamer. l believe in dream fulfillment, because 'sometimes' dreams come true. This is a blog about my journey as a writer and things that inspire and motivate me.